About Hoeve Rosa

Hoeve Rosa, over 100 years old

Our farm dates back to the year 1910. In 1907, Arnold Obers bought around 50 hectares from the municipality of Sevenum. The moorland was reclaimed and this farm was built on the plot of land.

His initials can still be found on the bricked-in stone at the front door to the dwelling.

The farm was called 'Hoeve Rosa Heide' (Pink Heather Farm). Until 1980, it was a mixed farm with arable farming and livestock farming, passed down through generations of the Obers family.

From Brabant to Limburg

In 1980, Sjef and Lies Kersten relocated their farm from Brouwhuis (in the municipality of Helmond) to Hoeve Rosa in Sevenum.

The main reason for choosing this location was the excellent way in which the land had been divided up.

Some of the old buildings were demolished and a shed was built for 114 dairy cows.

Between 1990 and 2000, Fons worked in partnership with his parents. During that period, he also spent twenty hours per week working for PTC+ in Horst as a practical teacher.

2000 - 2012

In the year 2000, Fons took over the farm from his parents. At that time, the farm had a milk quota of 800,000 kg of milk and 46 hectares of land. 

During the period 2000 to 2008, investments were made in the milk quota in particular and modifications were made in the existing buildings, in order to accommodate more animals. Investments in machinery were minimized and the majority of the agricultural work was outsourced to a contractor. The available labour was used for the cows. The result was growth in the farm and higher labour productivity without an increase in fixed costs. This strategy meant that in 2008, we were able to invest in a new dairy cattle shed with an automatic milking system.

Since 2009, we have once again had scope for new ideas. We initially extended our Education department, and in the spring of 2012, ideas for the activities in the Meadow room were born.